Episode #9: ‘The power of horizontal connections in culture during wartime’
ALSO ON THE MOST POPULAR PODCAST PLATFORMS
In this episode of Culture Against Aggression podcast we discuss how collaboration between Ukraine and other countries is being built through non-governmental initiatives, what connects foreigners to our cultural processes, and what motivates them to engage and support our culture.
Guests of the podcast:
- Bozhena Pelenska – Program and executive director of Jam Factory Art Center, newly opened (November 2023) in Lviv
- Dmytro Lampert – partner & chief operating officer of Chicago Atlantic Trident, impact investing strategy focused on Ukraine
- Volodymyr Byehlov – America House Lviv director, cultural manager and journalist
- The story of a foreigner founding two key cultural institutions in Ukraine
- The story of the power of social media and how a project emerged from communication on LinkedIn. A collaboration between Ukraine and the USA.
- About networking. How America House Lviv became the most beautiful shelter in Lviv, and actively worked in culture right from the beginning of the full-scale war.
- Why an American investment company decided to support a cultural project in Ukraine.
- How is it to open an art center during a war. The story, processes, and brave decisions.
- When the impossible becomes possible. The work of an American cultural institution in Ukraine during the war and the “Galician” approach to matters.
- Cultural tools that can help attract American attention to Ukraine.
- How to build cultural connections during a war and whether it’s easier if the founder is a foreigner.
- Summary. An important message for the foreign audience.
“Culture Against Aggression” is the project of Gallery 101 in partnership with Radio SKOVORODA and with the support of our exclusive sponsor Chicago Atlantic whose impact investment strategy Trident is building homes for Ukrainians and expanding the country’s industrial capacity, laying the foundation we need to revitalize Ukrainian culture and commerce.
Please, subscribe and share with those who want to know more about Ukraine.
Podcast “Culture Against Aggression”
Documenting Ukrainian Culture During Wartime
‘Culture Against Aggression’ is a research-oriented, documentary, and social project aimed at creating the most comprehensive picture of cultural resistance and the functioning of Ukrainian culture during a full-scale war, for the purpose of analysis, improvement, and unification of efforts.
⫸ This project is a continuation of the initiative ‘Culture Against Aggression,’ which started as a Telegram Group created by Marta Trotsiuk on the 5th day of the full-scale war. This group includes more than 1500 representatives from the fields of culture and creative industries, serving as a platform for discussions and joint actions on topics of cultural diplomacy and countering Russian cultural influence worldwide.
⫸ In the podcast, Marta engages with guests – the most active representatives from various cultural spheres – discussing how Ukrainian culture reacts, fights, and operates during wartime.
‘Culture Against Aggression’ is a project of Gallery 101 in partnership with Radio Skovoroda, supported by ZMIN Foundation and our exclusive sponsor of the second season Chicago Atlantic whose impact investment strategy Trident is building homes for Ukrainians and expanding the country’s industrial capacity, laying the foundation we need to revitalize Ukrainian culture and commerce.